Friday, July 24, 2009

The Vagina Monologues

On the fourth of July a friend made a reference to "The Vagina Monologues" and was shocked when I told him I hadn't seen it. It was on my Netflix Queue but kept getting bumped to the bottom of the list for other movies. I am a woman, a lesbian, a politically-aware person, a victim of abuse, a theatre geek, and I want to be a mom. He knows all this, and these are the reasons he was shocked I hadn't seen this movie. Now that I have seen it, I understand his shock. However, I also know why I hadn't seen it before. The universe was holding it for me... Waiting. For this moment. For this point in my life. When I have to accept my femininity more than I ever have before. When I had to actually go LOOKING for a man, after spending ten years convincing the world I don't have a use for them. There are a million reasons.

All those lame things people say like "this movie changed my life" and "I'll never forget..." blah blah... Well, I don't think I'd go THAT far. It hasn't changed my life... But it has given me a sense of comfort in what we are trying to accomplish. A sense of comfort I didn't have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment